Making homemade mayo is all technique. THE key is adding the oil slowly into the egg mixture. While this is not difficult or time consuming, if you follow this method, it is one step instead of repeatedly adding oil by using an immersion blender.
Ingredients for about 1 Cup of mayo:
- 1 egg
- 1 Tb (max) lemon juice
- 1 t (max) Dijon mustard – I do suggest using some
- 1 clove (equivalent) of garlic substance – I like the powder
- 1 cup oil – I like olive oil usually, but favorite is Avocado
- tiny bit of salt to taste
- some ground pepper to taste
Put everything in a bowl, without beating the egg. Put the immersion blender on top of the egg yolk and turn it on. Up & down motion (not swirl or side to side) will slowly bring the oil into the mixture. Once it is mayo-ish consistency, just mix it all up nicely for even flavor.